Dealing with aggressive customers course
Deal with complaints and dissatisfaction more pleasantly in the future
A customer who feels not understood. A buyer who is dissatisfied with a product. People who find your telephone calls disturbing. Employees in commercial positions increasingly have to deal with aggressive customers. This aggression is often caused by frustration, fear and uncertainty. In addition, instrumental aggression can occur when a customer feels entitled to certain services, products or satisfaction. Especially if you have to say no, the fire can quickly flare up during such a conversation. Moreover, the disadvantage of telephone contact with a customer is that there is no body language. Therefore, the use of the voice and communication skills are essential for a calm and pleasant conversation.
How do you deal with resistance and aggression from customers? When acting professionally, the complainant's emotions are not bottled up and suppressed, but guided, timed properly and processed. In the training 'Dealing with Aggressive Clients' you practice with situations from daily practice. In this way you become more skilled in assessing and de-escalating difficult telephone conversations.
The two-day course 'Dealing with Aggressive Clients' teaches you how to act professionally in cases of verbal aggression. This is always conscious action, based on one's own choice. Perhaps with, but not controlled by emotions. In this training, together we make sure that you are stronger. What is needed for this?
- insight into your own behaviour: a certain degree of self-control.
- A good assessment of the situation. The way you assess a situation depends on your profession, the concrete situation you are in and your personality.
- Various de-escalating interview techniques.
On both training days, we work with an actor to simulate realistic situations. By experimenting with these situations and determining the approach that best suits you and the situation, the theory of this course comes to life.
The Dealing with Aggressive Clients training includes the following topics:
De-escalating; how to say no to...
- verbally aggressive customers
- chatty customers (you can't get a word in edgeways)
- (personal) criticism
The core of the complaint:
- questioning and listening techniques to find out where a complaint is coming from.
- active listening
- ask questions
- customer-oriented thinking
- Where do we want to go?
- What is your position?
- What is the position of the customer?
- What is the goal?
- What can be left out?
The right approach:
- Attacks on you as an individual rather than the company: don't take it personally
- Understand why a customer behaves the way he does
- What attitude do you take?
- How do you transcend personal criticism?
- Apply communication techniques in a conscious and customer-oriented manner
- Using your voice well
Organisational aspects of dealing with aggressive customers:
- Giving and receiving peer support (buddy support)
- The importance of an efficient complaint handling policy
The course on Dealing with Aggressive Clients is intended for people whose job involves dealing with complaints or dissatisfaction and who would like to make this more pleasant. For example, helpdesk staff, employees of housing corporations, receptionists and telephone salespeople.
The exact content of the Coping with Aggressive Clients course depends on the participants' prior knowledge, practical experience and learning goals. You start with an individual intake interview in which you determine your personal learning goals. On this basis the final programme of the training will be determined.
At the end of the training, we draw up a plan for giving and receiving peer support (buddy support). This lowers the threshold for asking each other for help on the shop floor when necessary. Afterwards, we evaluate the training in an oral and written evaluation. Some time after the training, we contact you again to see how things are going in practice. Do you need extra support? If so, we will plan a time to discuss cases from your daily practice and go deeper.
After completing the course Dealing with Aggressive Clients:
- you can determine the right approach to different types of complainants.
- You know how to deal with resistance, unreasonableness, emotion and dissatisfaction of customers.
- you can make a problem analysis and determine the right approach.
- You know several de-escalation techniques and listening techniques and can apply them.
- You know what solution-focused work with aggression entails.
- You are able to set limits for aggressive behaviour.
- You can deal with personal criticism and remain calm.
- You know different communication techniques and can apply them in a conscious and customer-oriented way.
- Know how to use your voice properly in conversations with aggressive customers.
- You know why receiving and giving peer support (buddy support) is important.
No specific prior knowledge is required for the Dealing with Aggressive Customers course.
The training is provided in Dutch as standard. The trainer has a good command of the English language. Use can be made of course material in English. With a minimum of three participants, the training can also be provided entirely in English.
Open registration, per person, including course material and lunch:
Price per day (excl. VAT)
After completion of the training, a Learnit certificate is issued as proof of participation.