2. Working with Tab Positions and Tab Species (Basic)
The [Tab] key is used to arrange text in a straight line. Spaces don't work that well. The [Tab] key allows you to jump to fixed positions in a line.
Standard Tab Position
The standard tab position is every 1.25 cm. We cannot see it on the ruler.
- Open a new document. Click File and then New. Choose Empty Document.
- First, we bring the ruler into view. Go to the tab Image and tick in the group Display:
- A ruler is now displayed both at the top and at the left side of the document:
- Create the price list below using the [Tab] key. Use one tab between each section.
So, for example: Product[Tab]Size[Tab]Frame type[Tab]Price
Changing Tab positions with the ruler
In the price list we have used standard tabs. These are not shown on the ruler. However, we can also create our own tab positions using the ruler.
- Tab positions are created in the paragraph in which the cursor is positioned. To create tab positions for the entire price list we must first select it.
Select the entire price list.
- Go to the ruler at the top click under the 3 cm. A tab position has now been added:
You can also see that texts at the level of Size now all on tab position 3 stand.
- Add more tab positions at 6 and 9 cm.
- We can remove tab positions again by dragging them out of the ruler.
Delete all three tab positions.
Changing Tab types with the ruler
There are several types of tabs available. The default tab type is Left tab selected.
We can change the tab type by clicking on the button on the left of the ruler:
- Make sure the entire price list is selected if it is not already.
- Click one times on the tab button so that the Centre tab is chosen.
- Go to the ruler at the top click below the 4 cm. A Centering tab has now appeared and the text at Size is centred.
- Click here one times on the tab button so that the Right tab is chosen.
- Go to the ruler at the top click below the 8 cm. A right-hand tab has now been added and the text at the height of Frame Type is aligned to the right.
- Click here one times on the tab button so that the Decimal tab is chosen.
- Go to the ruler at the top click under the 11 cm. A decimal tab has now been added. The prices at Price are now aligned with the comma.
Tab positions and Tab types in the Tabs window
We can also set tab positions and tab types in the Tabs window. Then we have an additional option: to fill the space for a tab with padding marks.
- Select the whole price list except the top row where the headings are.
- Click on the Start tab in the group Paragraph on the small arrow in the bottom right-hand corner. You can also press the right mouse button Click and select Paragraph.
- The window Paragraph appears. Click on the at the bottom left of the window.
- The Tabs window appears. We are going to adjust the Decimal tab at 11 cm here.
Click on 11 cm in the Tab position list.
- Choose at Fill-in sign for 2 ……. The window now looks like this:
- Click on the and then click on the OK to close the window.
Our price list is now ready and looks like this:
We have now finished the exercise.